Wednesday, April 25, 2018

New looks and new shoes

Dear Chicago,

This past Monday we crossed the three week mark. I miss being your neighbor a lot. You were good to me. As a neighbor. Also as a sister but I figured that was a given. But you should also know that you’re a pretty stellar neighbor.

Turns out I have a lot of free time largely due to the fact that I start work at the butt-crack of dawn each day. Probably the world just wouldn’t have been able to handle us if we were together so much AND sisters AND neighbors. It’s probably best this way. But still- come over some afternoon around 3:30 and we’ll make cookies or go to Homegoods or get pedicures. I know your winterized feet are gonna need some attention. I know mine do.

Speaking of feet, I returned that shower curtain the other day. It was just far too black and white for me. Had to be done. So I returned it and figured I’d get a new one ya know? The only issue was that the layout of the Super Target is much different than the normal Targets I’m used to. So I got lost on my way from customer service to the home decor section and ended up in the clearance shoe isle (I have NO idea how it happened- it was all such a blur).

Anyway... I happened upon these really cute slide sandals for $12! Which is an excellent price for slide sandals from target. So I bought them. They were less than the shower curtain and I don’t technically need a shower curtain- just wanted one.

I needed the new slides. Duh. Your girl always needs new slide sandals! Especially for $12. Woulda been awfully irresponsible for me to let that opportunity pass me by.

But I also needed them because my black sandals have already left a tan line on my feet. Like wide-strap lines and I’m not okay with that. My feet look like a tiger and it’s only April!

So clearly I need to adjust my footwear so that they tan a little more evenly. What I really need are flip flops. Ugh! Gotta go back to Target! Or maybe ma can bring me some. The flip flop bucket is still in the basement. It wasn’t even on our radar when I left. Winter. Pft!

The other day was a chill day for me and all I had scheduled to do was watch the kids upstairs for a few hours in the evening. So I didn’t do my makeup and I just pulled my hair up thinking- not a big deal, don’t care- probs won’t see many people- it’s fine.

Then the kids come home and literally as the oldest girl is walking over the threshold and into the home she says “what happened to your blonde hair? It’s gone. And your eyebrows! They look so different!” And I was like oh... well my hair is just up and I didn’t fill my eyebrows in thanks for noticing.

Then her sister passes through like 30 seconds later and she looks at me and goes “wow- I thought you were someone new. You have a different look. You’re wearing short eyelashes today.” To which I responded- I’m just not wearing mascara. And she threw her hands up and said “WELL THEN GO PUT SOME ON! GO GET YOUR OTHER LOOK BACK." And then she slumped her shoulders and looked at the ground and softly said, "I liked that other look" and acted like really upset about my new "look".

I was a little... shook... if you can imagine.

And then a few hours later we were all hanging out on the couch watching tv and the youngest one ran over to sit in my lap. She IMMEDIATELY jumped up and shouted “OUCH! Why is your leg so... so... scratchy?! YOUR LEGS ARE HURTING ME!”

Yes. Because I haven’t shaved in like 5 days.

Nothing like a herd of children to keep ya humble!

I'm realizing they also like to boss me around. It's real easy to be bossed around by children. They can be so matter-of-fact and if I'm not careful I just end up being like "okay, cool ya I can totes clean up your toys while you eat a chocolate ice-cream cone and paint the walls with yogurt while your brother swiffers the kitchen floor with the last roll of paper towels after playing 'beach' in the dishwasher". 
 
It's surprisingly easy! 
 
So I have to learn to say no. And I have to say no firmly. If there is even a hint of hesitation in my 'no' you best believe they are allllll over it. 
 
It’s funny the things I learned that I HAVE to do now that I work with children. I HAVE to be Elsa. I HAVE to make it stop raining. I HAVE to make it snow. I HAVE to clean up after the fairies. I HAVE to change the baby's diaper while mama goes shopping. I HAVE to take the toys from the other kids. I HAVE to make the other kids want to be held by a three year old. I HAVE to let them eat pudding for breakfast. I HAVE to make it warm enough to go barefoot outside. 
 
No wonder I’m tired. 
 
Also today I went to Harris Teeter and wanted to get some iced tea buh-cuz you know when it's warm outside I crave iced tea. I decided to stay true to my roots and get Turkey Hill instead of Arizona (you know that mess ain't the same) but the only TH flavors they had were like ginseng and honey and green tea. And you know I'm not about that green tea. 
 
Likewise, ginseng and honey can be gone in the name of Jesus.

So Arizona for me this time. Arnold Palmer. 

I aspire to have something a little more important named after me but it's cool, it's cool. Arnold Palmers (the drinks) are super tasty. So that's not too shabby, AP. Not too shabby at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment