Sunday, January 9, 2011

Whenever 2011 Happened

UPDATE! 


It's 2011, and that's crazy
I can't believe Christmas is now over. I'm so sad! It always goes so flippin' fast, but it hit me  when mom asked Kyle and I to bring the Christmas lights in.
We never did it though. To be honest, I forgot and I don't think Kyle realized we were supposed to. I was probably supposed to tell him. Oops! Oh well. We'll go with the "we refuse to accept that it's over" argument. What's another day with Christmas lights?
Oh, scratch that. Kyle did them without me and I never knew it =) Ha.

My New Year's Eve was definitely one to remember- a bit anticlimactic for sure, but in the best way possible. First of all, I didn't go with the annual New Year's party as I had in the past, rather spent the weekend at my grandparent's cabin with the whole Martin Fam.
So anywho... It all started when Maria wanted some sparklers.

Seeing as how our cabin is located in the middle of redneck country, Pa... we didn't think that would be difficult. SO... we went to the little local grocery/hunting/all purpose store in town, and started searching. After asking the lady in the store if she had any sparklers, we found some pretty snazzy tanks! The box told us that these tanks shot "flaming pellets", and the directions were quite simple: "light and get back". 
They were real winners.
Before leaving, the lady told us about the big New Year's event- There was going to be a cow dropping at the McPhee farm! (McPhee?) She told us that they were going to drop this lit up cow from a big silo with a spotlight to light it up so everyone could see it. They also told us that steaks would be served after the drop... I'm still not sure if that was true or not. But we were interested, especially if they were going to play holiday music!
We thought it was a great idea, and could not wait until we could check out the party.

So we decided that we needed to be there early to get a good spot before the cow drop went down. We left our cabin at 11:15pm.
We had some simple directions, and didn't think it would take very long to find.
Well let me tell you, mom, Kyle, Danny, Mary Catherine, Maria and I drove and drove and drove and drove- and we couldn't find this place.
The whole time, we were looking for this huge cow on a big silo at a big farm. Eventually, one of us thought that maybe we passed it at one point, so we did loads of backtracking and passed this place about 5 times before we decided that we had found it.

It was nothing like we had expected.

Pardon the poor picture quality, but yes- this was our cow.
And yes, we were sitting DIRECTLY across the street.
This picture is to scale.
We had a pretty good time laughing about this- how redneck?

But the best was yet to come!

About 10 minutes before 12am, these girls walked up and down the streets, past all of the cars parked along the side of the road (all 6 cars), asking for donations.
I thought maybe that the money for the one string of lights it took to light up the cow was a bit out of their budget. Needless to say, we kept our windows up and donated nothing.

And then... when the countdown began...
The spotlight turned out to be an over-sized flashlight which revealed the man sitting on top of the cow and the rope pulley system that he had rigged to lower the cow. Because of the rope, the cow drop was literally a drop- the countdown was a bit tricky- "10... 8... 7... 6... 321!" That was funny.
When the cow was officially "dropped", the barn next to the silo light up, 2011. So that was cool =) A bit unexpected, which is good.

And the holiday music? Turned out the guy who was holding the flashlight just opened the doors on his big truck and played the stereo really loud. It was some Kenny G song... woop di doo?

And then on the way back to the cabin, we were all giddy and excited to tell everyone what the big event was actually like. Well good joke- but everyone was sleeping when we got back.
Therefore, the night was nothing like we had expected.
But we had fun.
And we have stories!

And now, here I am, all snuggled in my Raleigh bed watching the newest episode of Jersey Shore, and trying to calm my nerves- classes start tomorrow. All new classes!? Is it weird that I'm freaked out? And nervous? It's like the first day all over again! And tomorrow I have 4 classes- yuck! I'm such a wimp.

But before we know it, I'm going to be all finished with my first year of college. Oh boy, I can hardly even wait!


Bring it on!


No comments:

Post a Comment